Costas D. Arvanitis, Ph.D.
Dr Arvanitis research includes linear and nonlinear acoustics, biomedical acoustics, microbubble dynamics (acoustic cavitation) and control, and image guided therapy. Some of his key contributions include the development of the first multi-modality image (US/MRI) guided focused ultrasound (FUS) system for studying ultrasound biophysics and guiding FUS-interventions (Roberts Prize for the best article published in 2013 in the journal of Physics in Medicine and Biology) along with methods for real-time imaging and control of microbubble dynamics. His lab is particularly active in the field of cancer research, where they conduct fundamental investigations on ultrasound and microbubble-meditated mass transport in brain tumors and develop computational tools to support the more rational design of focused-ultrasound-based treatment of brain cancer (PNAS 2018; Nat. Rev. Cancer 2019). As principal investigator he has secured federal funding from the National Institutes of Health, National Science Foundation, private foundations, and industry. His scholarship has been disseminated in over 80 papers, abstracts, and book chapters.
2003 – B.Sc. in Biomedical Engineering, Technological Educational Institute of Athens.
2005 – M.Sc. in Medical Physics, University of Patras.
2008 – Ph.D. in Medical Physics and Bioengineering, University College London.
Employment and Training
2002 – 2003 – Research Assistant, Biomedical Engineering, Institute of Electronic Structure and Laser, Foundation for Research and Technology-Hellas.
2007 – 2009 – Postdoctoral Fellow, Biomedical Acoustics and Bioengineering, Institute of Biomedical Engineering, University of Oxford.
2010 – 2014 – Research Fellow, Medical Physics and Bioengineering, Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School.
2014 – 2016 – Instructor (research faculty), Radiology, Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women’s Hospital.
Honors and Awards
2004 – Three-year postgraduate scholarship, National Laureate, Greek State Scholarships Foundation (awarded after written exams).
2011 – Image-Guided Therapy Fellowship, NIH, Brigham and Women’s Hospital.
2014 – Best Poster Presentation, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, 2nd Annual Radiology Research Symposium.
2014 – Roberts’ Prize, Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine (Best article in the journal of Physics in Medicine and Biology in 2013).
2016 – 2018, Biomedical Acoustics Committee Member, Acoustical Society of America.
2009 – 2nd International Congress on Ultrasonics, Santiago, Chile.
2014 – 167th Meeting of the Acoustical Society of America, Providence, USA.
2014 – Medical Physics and Engineering Conference, Glasgow, Scotland.
2015 – Keynote Presentation at the International Conference on Science in Technology, Athens, Greece.
2016 – 171st Meeting of the Acoustical Society of America, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA.
2018 – 50th Annual Meeting of Annual Meeting of Biomedical Engineering Society, Atlanta, GA, USA
2019 – Society for Image-Guided Neuro-interventions (SIGN), Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
2019 – Ian’s Friends Foundation “What IFF Symposium” for pediatric brain tumor research, Atlanta, GA, USA
2015 – Co-chair, Scientific session on “Brain”, International Society on Therapeutic Ultrasound: 15th ISTU, Utrecht, Netherlands.
2016 – Co-chair, Technical session on “Controlled Drug Delivery and Release with FUS”, Acoustical Society of America: 171st Meeting of ASA, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
2017 – Co-chair, Technical session on ” Beamforming and image guided therapy”, Acoustical Society of America: 173rd Meeting of ASA, Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
2017 – Co-chair, Technical session on “Biomedical Imaging and Instrumentation: Neuroimaging, Neuromodulation and Neurosurgery ” 50th Annual Meeting of BMES, Atlanta, GA, USA
Ad hoc Reviewer
- Small (Publisher: Willey; Discipline: Nanotechnology)
- Theranostics (Publisher: Ivy spring International; Discipline: Nanotechnology)
- Journal of Controlled Release (Publisher: Elsevier; Discipline: Pharmaceutics)
- Scientific Reports (Publisher: Nature publishing group; Discipline: Multidisciplinary)
- IEEE Sensors Journal (Publisher: IEEE)
- IEEE Trans. on Biomedical Engineering (Publisher: IEEE)
- IEEE Trans. on Medical Imaging (Publisher: IEEE)
- IEEE Trans. on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control (Publisher: IEEE)
- International Journal of Hyperthermia (Publisher: Informa Healthcare; Discipline: Medicine)
- Journal of Acoustical Society of America (Publisher: AIP Publishing)
- Journal of Investigative Medicine (Publisher: BMJ Publishing; Discipline: Biomedicine)
- Journal of Therapeutic Ultrasound (Publisher: Biomed Central; Discipline: Medical Ultrasound)
- Molecular Pharmaceutics (Publisher: American Chemical society; Discipline: Pharmacology)
- Physical Biology (Publisher: IOP publishing)
- Physics in Medicine and Biology (Publisher: IOP publishing; Discipline: Medical Physics)
- Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology (Publisher: Elsevier; Discipline: Medical Ultrasound)
- Ultrasonics (Publisher: Elsevier ; Discipline: Ultrasound Research)
- Angiogenesis (Publisher: Springer; Discipline: Biology and Medicine)
- BioMed Research International (Publisher: Hindawi Publishing; Discipline: Biomedical Sciences)
- BBA – Reviews on Cancer (Publisher: Elsevier; Discipline: Biochemistry)
- European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences (Discipline: Pharmaceutics)